This is an important talk that needs to be seen more widely. Tony Kennick explains the way that the Twitter campaign against the hacking of Milly Dowler’s mobile phone by The New Of The World actually happened.
We now live in a world where this kind of thing cannot go by swept under a carpet of secrecy. It led in the end to the public humiliation of Rupert Murdoch as well as the closure of the paper.
Politicians need to be aware that there is a new power around called the public voice and it has been seen right across the world in mobilising opinion and putting vested interests under pressure.
For those who think that social media is just about who is having a coffee with whom and where…take note…. and consider the consequences of your actions.
- Milly hacking ‘known about in 2002’ (mirror.co.uk)
- Exclusive: New hacking shame (independent.co.uk)
- Milly Dowler’s family offered £2m-plus to settle News of World hacking case. (politics.ie)
- News of the World: police watchdog investigates Milly Dowler leak (guardian.co.uk)
- Nick Clegg: NI will not be absolved over Milly Dowler phone hacking (guardian.co.uk)
- Milly Dowler Phone Hackers ‘Used More Than One Voicemail’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Great TED talks: Derek Sivers – How to Start a Movement (theartofgood.wordpress.com)