In the wake of the SOPA/PIPA issue, here are my ten reasons the internet must remain uncensored:
(1) Our lives are now immersed in the free flow of knowledge.. no government should dictate what constitutes the knowledge that we have the right to receive.
(2) The internet is a network of immense size and possibility it cannot be a pipeline that can be switched on and off at someone’s behest.
(3) We make new knowledge every day on the internet and cannot look into every source for possible infringement of copyright.
(4) We use information that is freely available from sources such as Google, YouTube, Wikipedia.. any threat to their liberty to provide this information is a lessening of our ability to write,discuss and produce blog posts such as this.
(5) The internet is about communication and not just the provision of information. Any censorship of the net will hinder our ability to communicate with each other for fear that our communication may be in breach of a law.
(6) The net is about the power to learn from each other… it is the reason that we have been able to develop powerful new developments in technology. If the net is censored there will be threats to the free flow of this knowledge.
(7) The net has developed as it has because it has been largely free of government control. There have been examples across the globe of governments trying to censor social media such as Facebook and Twitter both of which have allowed the free flow of information and a forum for protest and without which events such as the “Arab Spring” would very probably not have happened.
(8) At a time where there are many of us trying to get schools to open their doors the power and potential of the net it is unwise to make their form of censorship the norm for us all.
(9) The force of the law will mean that a huge amount of videos, music and works of literature will be unavailable to so many who would find it difficult or indeed impossible to access these resources in any other way.
(10) The world will be a much poorer place without a vibrant and free internet!
- The day the internet was blacked out: SOPA and PIPA online protests (negativentropy.wordpress.com)
- Protect the Internet – Stop SOPA (marketing-optimist.com)
- keep the internet uncensored – call your representative today (orgtheory.wordpress.com)
- All About PIPA and SOPA, the Bills That Want to Censor Your Internet (3quarksdaily.com)